We recommend and now support automated device syncing of LifeTopix data using Dropbox. Please look at at our video guide on how to set it up.
Google Drive Sync (Tech Preview)
We now support backup/restore as well as automated sync with Google Drive as well.
iCloud Sync (Tech Preview)
Our support of iCloud Sync is an experimental technology preview, and is not guaranteed to work reliably. We are working with Apple to make it more reliable — our data is much more complex than that of apps that do simple lists or tasks. In addition to syncs not working reliably between devices, there is also a strong possibility of data loss. We highly recommend that for reliability, users use the Dropbox approach. Also, please do regular backups of your data from LifeTopix Settings (Email and Online).
The very first thing you should do before enabling iCloud Sync for LifeTopix, is to perform a backup of your LifeTopix data using the backup features (Email or Dropbox online folder) available within LifeTopix Settings (Quick Menu > ).
If you have an iCloud account, you can use that account to sync LifeTopix data across devices. Once configured, this sync will be automatic.
While iCloud Sync is enabled in LifeTopix on a device, changes to the LifeTopix data on that device will be propagated to your other LifeTopix devices on which you have enable iCloud Sync. Changes made to the LifeTopix data on a device that does not have Wi-Fi access (e.g., when it is in Airplane Mode) will be queued up to be sent once Wi-Fi access resumes.
In most cases, LifeTopix information changed on one device will be propagated to your other devices within a few minutes. However, the time required for this propagation depends entirely on the performance of iCloud. During periods of heavy use, iCloud performance has been observed to be very slow.
Note that iCloud is very new technology that is evolving rapidly. Therefore, it is important to realize that this LifeTopix feature is a technology preview.
Before you enable iCloud Sync on your devices, ensure that all of the following requirements are met:
- you have an Apple iCloud account
- each device you wish to sync has network connectivity
- LifeTopix resides on each device you wish to sync
- iCloud is enabled in the device Settings of each device you wish to sync
- if you plan to take advantage of the built-in integration LifeTopix has with your device’s Contacts, then Contacts syncing must be set to ON in the device Settings of each device you wish to sync
- if you have LifeTopix configured to add reminders to your device Calendar and you want those reminders to be synced across devices, then Calendar syncing must be set to ON in the device Settings of each device you wish to sync
Enabling iCloud Sync
To enable iCloud Sync on your devices, perform the following steps:
FIRST, perform a backup of your LifeTopix data using the backup features (Email or Dropbox online folder) available within LifeTopix Settings.
- PRIMARY DEVICE. Determine which device you want to serve as the initial source of all your LifeTopix data (the “initial source device”). Note that the first time you enable iCloud Sync on your devices, all the LifeTopix data from the source device will be copied to the other devices — no merging of data will occur initially. Once you enable iCloud Sync on your devices, LifeTopix changes on one device will be propagated to the others.
- BACKUP! Perform a LifeTopix online backup of the initial source device. Refer to the Backing Up And Restoring Data In LifeTopix section of the Settings help.
- On the initial source device, tap from the Quick Menu, then tap iCloud Sync (Technology Preview), then set the iCloud Sync slider to ON.
- After confirming that you have read the instructions for enabling iCloud Sync, you should receive a popup indicating that your initial source device is “the first device to sync its LifeTopix data with iCloud”. If you do not receive this message, then some LifeTopix data already exists in your iCloud account and you must follow the steps described in the iCloud Sync Reset section of this help before proceeding. If you do receive this message, tap Continue to enable iCloud Sync.
- If your initial source device contains any LifeTopix files (e.g., photos, audio clips, video clips, or local documents), then once iCloud Sync has been enabled successfully, you will receive a message advising you to perform step 2 to upload those local files to iCloud. We have made step 2 optional because Apple limits the amount of space available to you in your iCloud account. Since these files may be quite large, we wanted you to have the choice as to whether or not you wish to consume space in your iCloud account to make the files available to your devices. Just beware that if you do not perform step 2, the local files on your initial source device will not be available on any of your devices. If you wish to perform step 2, get out of this view, wait five minutes, and then return to this view and the Move LifeTopix local files to iCloud button will be enabled — tap this button.
- If your initial source device does not contain any LifeTopix files (e.g., photos, audio clips, video clips, or local documents), then once iCloud Sync has been enabled successfully, you will receive a message advising you to wait five minutes for your initial device to propagate its LifeTopix data to iCloud before enabling iCloud Sync on your other devices. It is very important that you wait the full five minutes before attempting to enabling iCloud Sync on your other devices.
- On all other devices you wish to sync, tap LifeTopix Settings, then tap iCloud Sync, then set the iCloud Sync slider to ON.
The most important things to remember about enabling iCloud Sync are:
- When you enable iCloud Sync, the LifeTopix data from your initial source device is what will be copied via iCloud to all your other devices on which you enable iCloud Sync. Therefore, you must select your initial source device carefully.
- If you are enabling iCloud Sync on your initial source device and the operation gets interrupted (e.g., by an incoming phone call, incoming text message, etc.), then you must follow the steps described in the Resetting iCloud Sync on All Devices section below to purge the data in your iCloud account and then re-start the iCloud Sync process from the beginning.
- Files that exist on the initial source device at the time sync is enabled will not be available in LifeTopix on any device — including the initial source device on which they reside — unless you perform step 2 of the iCloud Sync process defined below.
- Apple’s iCloud technology is very new and, therefore, evolving very quickly. To ensure proper functionality of iCloud, you must follow precisely all instructions here and in any popups that you receive. You should also regulary visit the iCloud Sync page of the LifeTopix web site.
What information is synced?
Once you enable iCloud Sync on your devices, all LifeTopix information is synced across those devices with the exception of the iCloud Sync setting in LifeTopix Settings. Beware that this means that if you set a passcode lock on a device, even that will get synced to other devices.
Remember that if there are LifeTopix files on your initial source device, those files that exist on the initial source device at the time that you enable iCloud Sync will not be available to any of your devices until you perform step 2. Whether or not you perform step 2, once you have enabled iCloud Sync on your devices, all LifeTopix files created after that point will automatically be available to your other devices, even if you do not perform step 2.
Disabling iCloud Sync
To disable iCloud Sync on a device, tap LifeTopix Settings, then tap iCloud Sync, then set the iCloud Sync slider to OFF.
The most important things to remember about disabling iCloud Sync are:
- When you disable iCloud Sync on a device, any changes you make to the LifeTopix data on that device will get overwritten with whatever is in iCloud at the time when you later re-enable iCloud Sync on that device.
- The bottom line is that unless you are disabling iCloud Sync on a device as part of the process to reset iCloud Sync or you do not wish your device to be synced with other devices any more, you should not disable iCloud Sync.
Resetting iCloud Sync
Apple’s iCloud technology is new and rapidly evolving. This means that, on occasion, iCloud will fail to propagate changes. If you suspect that your devices have failed to receive updates, we have provided a mechanism to reset the iCloud Sync feature.
One indication that you should reset iCloud Sync is when you observe that one change you have made to LifeTopix data has been propagated but an earlier change has not been.
To reset iCloud Sync, follow the instructions in the iCloud Sync Reset online help. That document can be found by tapping LifeTopix Settings, then tapping iCloud Sync (Technology Preview), then tapping iCloud Sync Reset, then tapping Read This First.
The most important thing to remember about resetting iCloud Sync is that you must perform the purge operation on every device on which iCloud Sync has been enabled.
Frequently Asked Questions
For the answers to some common questions about iCloud Sync, please be sure to read the iCloud Sync FAQ page.
In your device Settings, Apple provides you a mechanism to “manage storage” for your iCloud account and for the applications that access it. It is very important that you not utilize this interface to manipulate the iCloud storage for LifeTopix. If you wish to manage the iCloud storage for LifeTopix, utilize the operations provided for you in LifeTopix Settings.