The LightArrow App Engine is our technology that enables enterprise/business apps for professionals to be developed quickly. It has been tested and matured with our own Calendar, CRM and Social Data apps. In fact, all the LightArrow apps are built on the company’s underlying technology base on iOS termed the LightArrow App Engine. A full Mac version and a Windows 10 version are in development, and Android support is planned. The LightArrow App Engine provides a common set of solid enterprise class core functionality and cloud integrations for its entire line of apps. It has matured with feedback from the most demanding and active users from our very diverse 120,000+ user base – over a four year period, currently at version 8.3. It brings together simple experiences consumers are used to, with complex usage needs of business users – both for line of business apps, as well as apps specialized for verticals.
Unlike the thousands of overly simplistic todo list and task apps on the App Store, the technologies built into the LightArrow App Engine are specifically designed for a wide variety of powerful business and productivity apps. We focus on the enterprise, apps for business owners and professionals, and cross-enterprise verticals. Designed to get powerful features quickly to the end user on iOS devices and Macs, these also aim to give the best unified experience across services, versus the dumbed down platform neutral web views approach – which does neither. Our approach is to have a solid, native platform for the enterprise which easily integrates with cloud services (both public and private).
App Engine with Cloud Integrations, Big Data, Analytics
- Cloud integrations: In the Post-PC era, businesses and users rely on information in public and private cloud hosted services. The LightArrow App Engine integrates with popular ones in order to give single touch access to info-assets in the cloud – in context, and with two-way sync where relevant. This allows users to get more value out of the cloud services they pay for. Our list of integrations is constantly growing – our current list of partners are listed here. We also have the ability to extend the integrations to private clouds that enterprise users have for hosted services.
- Data Feeds Across Inboxes and Social Channels: Available in select apps, this technology allows for a normal user to easily configure, access, and act on information feeds from email inboxes, Twitter, Facebook, Evernote, and any web URL. With a built-in filtering and conversion engine, the user can easily create notes, tasks and other items from a sea of data. To make big data analytics accessible in the hands of business users, our feed engine technology is modifiable for custom data feeds that can point to private-cloud and intranet hosted services commonly in use in the enterprise.
- Robust Relational Data Model: Developed over four years, the foundation of the app is a relational database that supports app functionality, as well as 3rd party integrations and extensions. The data model includes supports for hierarchical categorization, statuses, and context tags to several built-in topic object types and data types.
- Metrics, Forms, and Graphing: Already utilized in certain topics such as Contacts, Goals, and Fitness – these provide easy information customization, collection and trend analytics.
- Real-Time Cloud Based Sync: Utilizing popular 3rd party cloud services, LightArrow apps automatically sync their data across multiple user devices.
- Data Conversion, “Smart Convert”: The built-in data conversion engine (available in selected apps) not only converts social and inbox feeds into a rich set of built in topic and data items, but it also converts from device calendar items, device reminders, etc. A “Smart Convert” component is in the works for practical use cases for natural language support.
- File Download: Ability to view and and attach file and other online artifacts in context, upload to cloud.
Device Level Integrations
- Device App Integrations: The App engine allows for in-context launching of 3rd party as well as built-in iOS apps (Contacts, Calendar, Reminders).
- Location Services: Available in some apps, there is a built in ability to tag locations to several data types (tasks, contacts, media, notes, reminders, and much more) to show on maps, as well as built-in location based-discovery integrations with Foursquare, Tweets Near Me, etc.
- Device Media: Access to media captured on device and directly in the context of managed items
- Non-Cloud Enterprise Software: The feed and convert engine is extensible to integrate with custom non-cloud apps (non-standard APIs)
- Configurable and Pluggable Dashboard: Top level views for apps are selectable with view specific alerts.
- Common UI Elements and Experiences: With a consistent and constantly improving set of views, the LightArrow apps strive to provide the cleanest, intuitive and in-context experiences for powerful business needs and complex workflow.
- Customization and Personalization: Themes/colors, view options, data options, UI interaction options, and much more.
- Custom Filters: Currently utilized by certain views, custom filters go across types, groups, statuses as well as custom metric values to give users complex filtering.
- Hosted Help Engine: All apps utilize a built in help system that ties in hosted content (pages, blog posts, videos, forums) relevant to specific views, as well as a dedicated Engage view for notifying user of important things, as well as user directly making support interactions via web, email, or Twitter.
- Sharing, Collaboration, Workflow, Email: Utilizing Email, Social Media, Messaging, as well as public cloud services, LightArrow apps allow users to both share and selectively collaborate with others on individual items as well as collections of items. A public-cloud based workflow and collaboration engine is in the works for the next update.
- Military-Grade Security: LightArrow apps allow for Lockers as well as other sensitive data items to secure user data on the device with strong encryption.
- Provisioning Engine for Modules/Policy/In-Apps: The engine includes a configurable provisioning engine that controls which users have access to which views and features. This is extensible to utilize for authorization of access to views and data in a corporate environment.
- Import/Export/Backup/Restore: These services enable users to utilize XML and CSV based data import/export, as well as complete backup and restore of all app data with popular cloud services.
- Print and PDF: Generation of sharable PDF files of operation views and reports
We continue to aggressively enhance the LightArrow App Engine for the needs of the enterprise, with powerful new common services that will be introduced with our CRM, Finance, HR and other apps in the near future.