- the face value
- the expiration date
- any restrictions (such as not valid on certain days of the week, reservation required, excludes alcohol, etc.)
Bonus information to track for each coupon is:
- a digital copy (pdf or photo of a physical printout)
- the amount I paid for it
- the credit card I bought it on
- the online coupon site I bought it on, along with the email account I used when I bought it
- whether or not I sent a referral of this coupon to a friend, since some sites give me kickbacks for each friend that ends up buying from a referral of mine
But probably the most helpful thing I do is to add a reminder entry to my calendar for each coupon, one or two weeks ahead of its expiration. If I haven’t used it by then, I know I need to make plans to do so soon.
The best evidence of the usefulness of this methodology is that even after all the coupons I’ve bought, I have never yet had one go unused.